Arizona Youth Partnership was founded in 1990 with the core belief that by preventing underage substance abuse and helping Arizona youth to stay in school and to prevent risky behavior, we can prevent some of the root causes of poverty. We are proud to partner with funding from SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) and the Governor’s Office of Youth Faith and Families (GOYFF) for much of our coalition work. On this page, we will highlight some things YOU can do to participate in Prevention Week 2020, and also some great things that are happening in communities across Arizona.
Here are some things you can do ANYWHERE to celebrate prevention!
- Take the Prevention Challenge! Download and fill out your #preventionhappenshere sign, take a selfie with your sign in the place where prevention happens in your life! Post your selfie on social media with the #preventionhappenshere hashtag and tag your location and your friends. See the fact sheet below for some great ideas!
- For more about prevention week from SAMHSA, click here
Have your own virtual Prevention Walk!
- Sign up HERE for the virtual Prevention Walk!
- In this time of COVID-19, we are unable to have a live event, but we’d love to help you participate in your own virtual Walk for Prevention!
- When you sign up, we’ll send you a printable “race” number, and some great social media props for you to walk for prevention right where you are!
- Send us some photos of your walk, and you might just get a little prize in the mail!
The ART of Prevention
Let us see your art of prevention! Express your creativity by showing us your art project to prevent substance abuse.
We know keeping our kids busy during this time is a challenge, so have a talk with them about prevention and then make art with them about what you talked about!
Here’s some great tips about talking to your kids about prevention:
Conversations are one of the most powerful tools parents can use to connect with — and protect — their kids.
Always keep conversations open and honest. Come from a place of love, even when you’re having tough conversations.
Keep in mind that teachable moments come up all of the time — be mindful of natural places for the conversation to go in order to broach the topic of drugs and alcohol.
Arizona Youth Partnership supports or participates in several coalition efforts throughout the state of Arizona, to see what’s happening in YOUR area, check out their column below!
The Copper Corridor Substance Abuse Coalition serves Pinal County.
AZYP is a member of the Copper Basin Coalition in Gila County
Here’s a story from Pinal County
The YADAH Coalition is active in Mohave County
MAPPED is another coalition AZYP participates with in Mohave County
AZYP is also a member of the MSTEP coalition in Mohave County
Here’s a story from Mohave county